Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pagan Standard Time

Merry Meet my loyal readers. That is if I have any readers left on this sparsely updated blog. Well your long wait for an update is over. Today I am going to rant. I am going to rant loudly and greatly. Today I am going to rant about a subject that has burned my ass for a number of years now and I think burns the ass of many who just suffer in silence. What subject is it I have chosen to rant on you are now wondering I am sure. What has gotten my ire up to post to this my rarely posted to blog. Why I will tell you my dear reader, it is the time honored and overused excuse for being late and lazy in the Pagan community known as P.S.T. or Pagan Standard Time.

That’s right P.S.T. Pagan standard time. . . “Oh we run on Pagan standard time.” Nothing burns my ass more than when I hear this phrase. What the fuck is that. You can’t be on time? There is a measure of time that applies to only Pagans? (If that is the case no one gave me the memo or a watch to figure it out.) You’re a Pagan so your special and everyone and everything should stop and wait on you? (A personal note at this point if you could see me right now, you would see the steam coming out of my ears like a cartoon over how much this topic burns my ass.) Truth be told when I hear, “We are on P.S.T.” what I hear is this. I am too important to respect you, your event, and any others who have arrived on time. Therefore since I am so important your event will wait on me to arrive before it starts, because much like Zaphod I am the most important person in the universe.

At this point I would like to point out a few things. Pagan standard time is not the same thing as being late or running late. We have all been late to an event due to something unforeseen, and if you are like me, you try to call ahead and explain your situation and make sure it is ok to arrive those few minutes late. Lateness is a rare occurrence for which you take personal responsibility and try to keep from happening again. P.S.T. on the other hand is the act and art of be constantly late to most if not all events that you attend and having no remorse for the fact of your lateness.

The fact of the matter is that people that run on P.S.T. (and we all know them) on a consistent basis are just plane rude. They are disrespecting you, there fellow pagans, The God and Goddess, (yep I went there) and most important themselves. I implore you dear reader don’t tolerate it. If you have ritual scheduled to start at 8 at 8:01 lock the door and refuse to admit anyone. (Be kind to the responsible soul who has called you and voiced their lateness.) Does that mean your ritual will start at 8:02, probably not but the fact of the matter is that you will now be able to begin the process of getting your act together without further waiting on that P.S.T. follower, and if that happens enough times to them perhaps they will get the message.

I know it seems like I have really come down hard on some of our Pagan brothers and sisters, and the fact of the matter is I have. Perhaps you are a follower of P.S.T. and have never given it a second thought. Well just know that there are some people out there that get offended at it, and you may find yourself one day not attending an event you were looking forward to because P.S.T. was they way you rolled, and someone like myself finally got tired of it.

2 comments:

  1. I abhor Pagan Standard Time. It burns my ass as well. I also hate it when people just flake out. They promise to attend a ritual, study group, potluck, etc., and they don't. They either don't show up, or, when you call them (because they are much too important to call you), they say, "Oh, yeah, I decided not to come." Grrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zedral I am so glad that you commented on my post. I am also glad to know that I am not the only person who's ass this burns.

    ReplyDelete