Friday, October 15, 2010

Pagan's , Politics, and Voting

Merry Meet to all those that stumble here and read my blog on a regular basis. Just a really short post today with a survey. The midterm elections are now just a few weeks away, and I would like to encourage everyone to go vote if you are able to. What ever your political affiliation may be is not as important as actually going to the polls and voting. With the word Witchcraft playing a part in the Delaware Senate race a lot of attention this year has been given to our collective paths. This would be a good opportunity, to show the world that while we may be a minority religion, we do pay attention to issues and are not afraid to go to the polls and vote.

To those of you that have never voted before I would like to offer this piece of advice from famous Science Fiction writer Robert Heinlein, from his book Time Enough for Love. "If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires."

If you are willing and able I have created a small survey about Pagans and voting here is the link for it. It is just a few questions long and I will publish the results after the election is over. Also I will be very busy the next few weeks and may not find much time to update my blog. I promise I have some good things coming up and a couple of interviews in the works for Merry Meet Monday. Hang in here with me readers and thank you for reading my blog.

BB,
Orius

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this - at a meetup a few weeks ago someone said they would not vote until they had an openly pagan candidate to vote for (with an air of righteousness I found kinda wtf?).

    I was torn between A) how are we likely to get to a place where we'll have one if you don't help steer things now? and B) okay, yer gonna vote for someone only because they're pagan, even if they happen to be incompetent train wrecks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Snooze Yea I see the exact same thing or something close enough to it here in Indy all the time which is why I wrote this.

    ReplyDelete