Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bad Advise

Good Morning readers. Yesterday I was doing my normal news reading when I came across this post on The Wild Hunt Blog.  The post is from Slate.com advise columnist know as Dear Prudence. Basically the post talks about a wife who was married to an Atheist, while she herself was a devote Christian. Anyway as the story in video (which I will embed into my post) goes this ladies husband finds Wicca and slowly makes it his religion to the dismay of his wife and she is not sure what she should do. The advice Prudence goes on to give this wife is a little tongue in cheek  talking about eye of newt and such, and to my ears is saying you were fine when he wasn't Wiccan but he changed the rules when he became one. I think that is bad advise and that it shows how far we as Pagan's still have to go to get respect for our beliefs in main stream media. (my own personal disclaimer here I do not have any Axe to grind that I am aware of against Slate. It is one of the sources I get news from on an almost daily basis. I also get news from The Huffington Post, The Druge Report, NPR, etc..) Take a moment to watch the video for yourself and draw your own conclusions about the advise she gave. :Leave me a comment on the blog here and tell me what you think. Until nex time my friends. BB

4 comments:

  1. I laughed at the graphics, thought the advice to see a counselor was maybe good if the wife was that bothered by it, but really, maybe looking at how much Christianity was the "organizing principle" of the wife's life was also called for. After all, maybe a little equality was worth name checking. Just how much of an unexamined but assumed supremacy of Christianity was part of the "underlying contract"? Did he "rip that up", or just make it conscious? Hopefully a counselor would be more skillful that this agony aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawg yea the graphics of the whole video were silly, but as I said just proves how far we really have to go as Pagans. I mean come on a guy with goat horns pouring blood into a bottle really really.

      Delete
    2. well yes, we have a long way to go, but did you notice that the "wife" in the video had little fairy angel things circling round her head, then he had symbols going round his head when he "got religion", so there was a bit of a leg pull on the wife there. I think goat guy was a leg pull on the wife's attitude too, but the advice wasn't following through on that treating beliefs equally.

      Delete
  2. I think that seeing a counselor is the best idea in this kind of situation, even if they couldn't work it out they could still understand eachother better from a different point of view The graphics also made me giggle.lol.

    ReplyDelete